Diamond Lee

Friday, August 6, 2010

Arlington, Texas

I arrived in Arlington, Texas on July 1, 2010. I met my roomie, Kai, that night. We immediately became friends. It turned out that Kai was going to be attending Texas A&M - Kingsville in the fall as an Environmental Engineer major, which is the same as me. The next day was orientation, we both walked to Nedderman Hall (engineering). Kai and I were the first two to show up to orientation. As the others walked in we said, "Hello" to each of them. Everyone was quiet, I guess they were nervous because they did not know each other, Kai and I were chatting away until Dr. Yazdani came in and welcomed everyone. He then handed us off to the other professors. There were professors for each of the different projects. Both Kai and I were assigned to the Air Dispersion Modeling project. Dr. Sattler was the professor assigned to our group. She explained what we were going to be doing over the five weeks. I must admit I felt a bit overwhelmed and was glad that I had already made a friend who was in my group. For lunch they order us Jason's Deli, and since one of the professors was out sick we had a two hour lunch. Kai and I decided to head back to the room and watch Sweeney Todd. First, we introduced ourselves to everyone involved in our project, Rachel Morrison and Ryan Landrith. It was an interesting first day.
We had a three day weekend because of the fourth of July holiday. It was really quiet on campus and in the dorms. There were others staying in the dorms but we didnt have their numbers and didnt know which rooms they were in. So, on Saturday Kai and I walked to the mall, she told me she had seen it on the way in and that it was close by. We walked for two and a half hours...it was six miles way. It was our "epic quest"! Once we got to the mall and we watched Eclipse and then went ice skating....horrifying! Needless to say we called a cab to get back to the dorms, which took the scenic route.

No comments:

Post a Comment